Monday, February 7, 2011

Time Management

I've been thinking a lot about time lately and why my management of it seems to have gone completely askew.  But trying to analyze how one spends her time can be tricky.

First, there is the issue of sleeping.  Although we've been in Denver for almost three months, my body is still on east coast time, which is two hours ahead of my new Rocky Mountain Time life.  I wake up each day between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m.  I'd like to go back to sleep and I try to do this, but often once I'm up, I'm up.  If I lived in EST, waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 would be fine.  Likewise, at night, I am ready for bed by around 9:00 p.m. (which would be 11:00 EST), but force myself to stay up to at least 10:00 to not be too much of a wimp.  If I could use the early morning time efficiently, that would be great. But this doesn't happen - I just toss and turn and scrunch up my pillow, totally annoyed that I'm not sleeping. 

Someone once told me that a day in retirement consists of doing all of the errands that you previously did on your way home from work.  I think that's pretty accurate.  Just having a couple of errands to accomplish can consume my day.  When I look back at the end of a week, I'm always disappointed with what I've done.  

So I tried to analyze why my days actually disappear.  One of the biggest time wasters in the world is the computer.  Sitting down in front of it just begs me to squander my time.  Not only is it nice to communicate with people via email, but there are endless things to look at online, whether it's news, shopping or dreaming (lately, I've been wasting my time looking at real estate).  I need to feel more productive and will heretofore limit my time in front of the computer (I say that now but we'll see if it comes to pass.)   

I keep thinking of the old saying that "if you want something done, ask a busy person to do it."  So true.  My to-do lists now get done eventually but they are so puny compared to what they used to be.  It's embarrassing.   I will work on becoming that "busy person" again, right after I peruse the sale items on bloomingdales.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment