Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hello from the Tundra


Our Lady of the Tundra

I was bouncing along in December and January surprised and pleased with the sunny, springlike weather and then February happened.  Since this month began, it has been so cold that "freezing" really doesn't describe it, especially since it is way below freezing.  In the last week, it has snowed at least 4 (maybe 5-6) times, and the fact that I've actually lost count should tell you all you need to know.


Terrace, February 8

I was reluctant to get out of my apartment today as the thermometer showed it to be 7° outside, but there is one thing that will get me going no matter what, a hair appointment.  So I walked a block to the 16th Street Mall FreeRide (http://www.rtd-denver.com/FREEMallRide.shtml), which you can just hop on and off for about a mile, and rode that to the end of its route.  Then walked about 3/4 of a mile to the salon. Although I had thermal gloves and glove liners (a whole separate pair of gloves that go underneath your gloves), my fingertips were cold to the point of almost frozen.  I got to thaw out at the salon and then did the whole thing in reverse.  I would have taken a real bus if I knew how but I haven't yet learned what you are supposed to do to be entitled to ride a bus.  


Warm Apartment

Couldn't be happier to be back in my apartment (with my hair cut and colored) without any body parts freezing or falling off.  What masochistic tendency makes people live in this climate?

No comments:

Post a Comment