I'm a couple of weeks late writing the inevitable year end lists of the ten best this and that. So I thought I'd write a personal list for the new year of where my likes and dislikes stand as we begin 2011. So, in no particular order, here they are:
- Our loft. Now that the work is done, it's so nice to sit back and enjoy the spaciousness and the lovely views. I'm lucky to live here.
- Being able to walk to almost everything. I filled the gas tank of my car in mid-November and have yet to fill it again since I've been in Denver.
- Sunny days. Almost everyone I've met in Denver is quick to tell you that there are 300 sunny days a year here. Definitely a nice feature and certainly not overlooked.
- Apartment living. It's quiet and no maintenance. Who knew?
- A brand new year. Always exciting with so many possibilities.
- Slush. Somehow, living in the South for so long, I'd forgotten that lovely mixture, often a gray color, of snow, ice, dirt, and water, known as slush. There's really nothing like stepping off a curb and feeling your foot sink ankle deep into the ground equivalent of a filthy snow cone. It's especially nice as your sock is enveloped in icy cold mush.
- Hype. Everyone here tells me how much I will love living in Denver and how great it is. This may be true - I definitely won't rule this out - but I haven't drunk the Kool-Aid yet. I'm not saying that I won't drink the Kool-Aid, but it just hasn't happened to date.
- Saying goodbye to a perfectly good year, 2010. Many changes but, all in all, a good year and sad to see it go.